BSB41415 Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety
Previously referred to as Certificate IV in OHS, the new Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety is now considered the minimum qualification for those seeking work as a WHS Manager, Advisor or Safety Officer.
This qualification is suitable for people already working in a work health and safety (WHS) role and who may or may not work under supervision.
You may provide leadership and guidance to others and have some limited responsibility for the output of others.
In this qualification you will learn:
- Australian Standards and relevant regulations and legislation
- Risk assessment and hazard control
- WHS management systems
- WHS consultation and participation processes (identifying participants, reviewing procedures, ascertaining training needs, communicating data, developing improvement initiatives)
- WHS leadership skills
- Incident response procedures
- Assisting in incident investigations
- Managing claims and implementing rehabilitation / return-to-work programs
- Establishing, reviewing and evaluating WHS measures and initiatives
One course offers many courses of action and pathways for you. This qualification is Release 2 and is the most up-to-date qualification available.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will receive a Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety (BSB41415).
Possible job outcomes may include:
- Work Health and Safety Coordinator
- Work Health and Safety Officer
- Work Health and Safety Representative
What do I need before I start?
There are no formal prerequisite units required for entry into this course.
You will however require basic English language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) skills.
Before commencing this course, you will be required to undertake an Online LLN ASSESSMENT. If you are completing the course via an online or RPL delivery mode, you will need access to a computer with word processing, PDF reader capabilities and an internet connection.
Please be advised we are unable to train students on a student visa. You must find a CRICOS registered training provider.
What will I need to provide to enrol?
Unique Student Identifier
What is a Unique Student Identifier?
From 1 January 2015 ALL participants undertaking nationally recognised training delivered by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) will need to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). It is free and easy for students to create their own USI’s online. To apply for a USI and for information regarding the USI system, please visit www.usi.gov.au . From 1 January 2015 no statement of attainments or qualifications can be issued without having a USI recorded.
You will also need to complete your enrolment form and upload photo ID.
Units of Competency
To complete this course you must demonstrate competency in a total of 10 units. These units have been selected to give you the most comprehensive overview of work health and safety requirements at a supervisory level.
- BSBWHS402 Assist with compliance with WHS laws
- BSBWHS403 Contribute to implementing and maintaining WHS consultation and participation processes
- BSBWHS404 Contribute to WHS hazard identification, risk assessment and risk control
- BSBWHS405 Contribute to implementing and maintaining WHS management systems
- BSBWHS406 Assist with responding to incidents
- BSBWHS408 Assist with effective WHS management of contractors
- BSBWHS410 Contribute to work-related health and safety measures and initiatives
- BSBPMG522 Undertake project work
- BSBMGT401 Show leadership in the workplace
- BSBMGT403 Implement continuous improvement
You can view the full list of units available to study within this qualification on training.gov.au.
Face to Face – 5 day course
Requires participants to attend five (5) days of face to face training workshops delivered at a public training facility utilising theory and practical activities. Delivery will include instructor led presentations / scenarios with all assessments done post classroom session using the iTrain Safety Student Portal login.
Standard Online Delivery
Allows participants the flexibility to complete the course at their own pace within the stipulated course time frames without the need to attend face to face workshops. Courseware and assessments are provided online via the iTrain Safety Student Portal login.
Assessment Only / RPL
For people with evidence of their extensive experience.
We aim to have all RPL assessments finalised within 12 weeks but it is usually much quicker. The actual time frame depends on the course you are seeking RPL for, how long it takes you to supply the evidence and how long it takes us to verify your evidence.
Please email email@example.com if you wish to RPL and we will provide you with a kit.
If you wish to customise your course, change your elective units or study load please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an individual learning plan.
After completing this course you may wish to further your studies with:
- BSB51315 Diploma of Work Health and Safety
- BSB51918 Diploma of Leadership and Management or;
- Other relevant Diploma qualifications